11.24.2008

no child left behind ftl

I finally just got caught up a bit with my web comics, and stumbled upon the linked forum post by the writer of Least I Could Do and Looking For Group, Ryan Sohmer. Here is my posted reply:

You really want to know what kids are learning in DC and Baltimore schools? I live in Maryland and go to a Baltimore college. I've seen it. It's absolutely heinous. I volunteered to tutor high school kids from Baltimore City schools last year and most of them couldn't do basic math. Now when I say 'basic' I mean basic. They were completely reliant on calculators. Most couldn't even add two single digit numbers together, let alone divide anything. No one ever taught them long division. Yet, these kids were getting A's in their classes. Additionally, the English program allows them to write papers with slang and racial slurs. And trying to teach them anything is like beating your head against a brick wall. wallbash.gif I can only wonder how the teachers feel about all this. They are probably just as frustrated with them. That or they too can only do math with a calculator and don't know how to use proper grammar.

GAH!!! So ridiculous!

Well, you wanted to know, and there you have it.


~ Datapike

No comments: